Home‎ > ‎Announcements‎ > ‎

Watch This Spot for June 2018 Public Launch Weather Status

posted Jun 15, 2018, 1:22 PM by James Cramton
SARA has received FAA authorization to operate Class 2 high power rockets from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. this Saturday, June 16, at the TIMPA facility in Avra Valley. The operating altitude is from the surface of the Earth to 6,500 ft. above ground level.

As always, the use of spark producing motors is subject to the Range Safety Officer's review of field conditions.  Do not automatically assume that spark producing motors may be flown.

Weather notice: Weather forecasts for Saturday have been highly variable, but most now point to heavy rains overnight Friday night and again Saturday, although there may be a lull in the rain and low clouds during the 8 am - 11 amplanned launch.  I will be at the launch site at 7 am Saturday to make a go/no go decision, and I will reply to this thread and announce on the SARA website and SARA's Facebook page whether or not we will set up launch range. So stay tuned, but my advice is to come out early, help set up, and be prepared for a rain delay or a cancellation.  The concern is not just the rain, but the low cloud deck, so don't plan to fly very high Saturday. Remember the safety code mandates that we not fly above the cloud deck. Most low power flights should be fine, but flights over 3,000 ft AGL will likely not be possible. A rain date on Sunday is unlikely due to scheduling conflicts and anticipated windy weather.

James Cramton
President
Southern Arizona Rocketry Association
Comments