posted Jan 23, 2016, 11:38 PM by James Cramton
updated Mar 2, 2016, 3:14 PM
A lengthy and productive Desert Heat planning meeting
Thursday evening continued to build momentum for Desert Heat 2016. Key SARA and Desert Heat highlights include:
- Membership card design approved; membership renewal drive imminent. Cards will be distributed with SARA lanyards, and they will serve to make it easier to associate a face with a name, and they have handy information like your NAR or TRA numbers and your certification level.
- 2016 launch schedule approved and ready to go to printers. The calendar in the right side bar and the calendar tab have the same dates as is published in the traditional paper (PDF) flier.
- Desert Heat volunteers will be invited to a volunteers-only launch and pot luck picnic shortly after Desert Heat. It's a unique way SARA can say Thank You for helping make Desert Heat a success! It's not a secret; all you need to do to join us is volunteer!
- There will be a $1 per ticket raffle for various prizes, both rocketry related and otherwise. We are also looking to offer a silent auction for some nice mid and high power rocket motors and motor hardware. Some motors require proof of L1 certification to win.
- Volunteers will be on call to observe Level 1 and Level 2 certification attempts. Preregistration is appreciated, especially for TRA L1 and NAR L2 flights, due to the written test requirement. But mainly, it's just nice to let us know how many certification flights to expect ahead of time so we can have enough volunteers available.
- Level 3 flights must be cleared at least 1 week in advance. Registration process to follow by March 1. Use of Sparky motors will be subject to field conditions at the discretion of the RSO. Must bring own launch equipment and clear any radio control launch equipment with RSO. Ceiling will be the same 6,500 foot ceiling that applies to the rest of the daytime launch.
- Quadcopter/sUAV restrictions apply to this site--only AMA members approved and coordinated by the RSO and flying in accordance with AMA, TIMPA, and common sense guidelines will be permitted. Full policy is available in our Range Procedures page.
- Camping will be $10 per vehicle, with exemptions available for pre-approved volunteers. Registration process to follow by March 1.
Stay tuned for more details in the Desert Heat section of the website, and on Facebook, or at our January, February, and March club launches.